I hadn't seen you cry before


I hadn’t seen you cry before
Back when the walls were full of perfect scenes
When plastered smiles 
Covered the bright glowing screens
When we would laugh at those who wondered what the world means

I hadn’t heard
The way a voice breaks
When a heart aches… 
Those cracks were always buried in a darker place
Somewhere where the people couldn’t go,
    they couldn’t know, you wouldn’t show.
You had a real face

It was a dull throb --
But it was nothing really
Nothing that would linger
Past a certain time,
Because the next try, next high,
One more swipe to get the right guy 
That
would be the answer we would swear by.
If something was the matter
It was getting better
Even if it wasn’t we’d look at it later

These days, 
Staring holes into the blank air
Numbing, and feeling I’m going nowhere
Suddenly I notice how the whites of your eyes
Redden as they water on the screen there
And I don’t really bother to wonder, as if it’s not right
Why are we all crying?
Why aren’t your eyes white?

Now, as the whole world weeps
I like to think the tears seep
Deep, into fresh ground
Down, with the sound and the smelling of sweet rain
Real pain, calling us all to stay sane 
And look around again


Maybe we’re all broken 
Maybe we need help 
But then if there’s any more
Than the shadows we settled for before,
Show me. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zygote

Recital

What Wondrous Love is